Thursday, May 13, 2010

Kundalini Experience by Gopi Krishna

Gopi Krishna adopted a routine of meditation as part of his mental discipline and practiced concentration exercises for a number of years. In spite of his religious orientation, he did not have a spiritual teacher and was not initiated into any spiritual lineage.
Over a period of years, he developed the ability to sit for a period of hours in concentration without any discomfort. The following account which took place in 1937 describes his first Kundalini experience which occurred while he was visualizing "an imaginary Lotus in full bloom, radiating light" at the crown of his head.

"Suddenly, with a roar like that of a waterfall, I felt a stream of liquid light entering my brain through the spinal cord. Entirely unprepared for such a development, I was completely taken by surprise; but regaining my self-control, keeping my mind on the point of concentration. The illumination grew brighter and brighter, the roaring louder.
I felt myself slipping out of my body, entirely enveloped in a halo of light. I felt the point of consciousness (that was myself) growing wider surrounded by waves of light. It grew wider and wider, spreading outward while the body appeared to have receded into the distance until I became entirely unconscious of it.
I was now all consciousness without any outline, without any feeling or sensation coming from the senses. I immersed in a sea of light spread out in all directions without any barrier or material obstruction.
I was no longer myself as I knew myself to be a small point of awareness confined to a body, but instead was a vast circle of consciousness (in which the body was but a point bathed in light). I was in a state of exultation and happiness impossible to describe."

Shortly after the initial experience above, Gopi experienced a continuous "luminous glow" around his head and began having a variety of psychological and physiological problems. At times he thought he was going mad. He adopted a very strict diet which helped him maintain his precarious mental balance, and for years refused to do any meditation (since he attributed all his troubles to the yogic concentration exercises he had been doing).
A fundamental change had taken place in him after his experience of Kundalini. He believed that this experience began a process in which his entire nervous system would be slowly reorganized and transformed by the Kundalini energy. He conceived of this energy as an intelligent force over which he had little control once it was activated.

2nd Experience :

The following experience occurred spontaneously about twelve years after his first experience, and only after he had been strengthened by the spiritually directed biological transformation he had undergone:

"While seated comfortably on a chair, I gradually passed off into a condition of exaltation and self-expansion similar to that which I had experienced on the very first occasion. But this time in place of the roaring noise in my ears there was now a cadence like the humming of a swarm of bees, enchanting and melodious, and the encircling glow was replaced by a penetrating silvery radiance.
In this sudden realization, I became conscious from within of an immediate and direct contact with an intensely conscious universe, a wonderful immanence all around me.
My body, the chair I was sitting on, the table in front of me, the room enclosed by walls, the lawn outside and the space beyond including earth and sky appeared to be most amazingly mere phantoms in this real.
The shoreless ocean of consciousness, which I was now immersed in, appeared infinitely large and infinitely small at the same time. Large when considered in relation to the world picture floating in it and small when considered in itself - measureless, without form or size, nothing and yet everything.
This experience was beyond all and everything belonging to this world, conceivable by the mind or perceptible to the senses."

Source : http://www.om-guru.com/html/saints/gopi.html